A modular blade-based 128x128 DigitalMedia matrix switcher offering ultra-fast digital video and audio switching for massive signal routing applications. Enables lossless HD signal distribution over CAT type twisted pair copper or fiber optic cable. Provides complete management for SD, HD, UHD, 2K, 4K, and computer signals with advanced HDCP support, EDID resolution management, CEC signal management, USB signal routing, integrated Ethernet switch, and a range of selectable input and output types. Hot-swappable redundant power supplies ensure ultimate reliability for mission-critical projects.
Crestron® DM® Switchers provide the foundation for a complete DigitalMedia™ system, delivering an advanced 4K ultra high-definition AV signal routing solution that’s extremely flexible and installer-friendly. The DM-MD128X128 is a modular matrix switcher designed for large-scale projects demanding ultimate reliability. It delivers ultra fast signal routing and pure, lossless distribution of HDMI® and other signals to support all the digital media players, HDTV receivers, computers, cameras, and display devices that fill any modern facility. DigitalMedia thoughtfully manages all of the disparate AV signals and devices to deliver a transparent user experience, and to ensure an optimum video image and audio signal at every location.
Featuring a scalable blade-based design, the DM-MD128X128 affords maximum input and output count in a condensed 24U rack-mountable chassis. The DM-MD128X128 is field-configurable to handle up to 128 inputs and 128 outputs, supporting HDMI, HDBaseT®, analog audio, Dante® networked audio, and all types of DigitalMedia 8G™ signals. Through a selection of hot-swappable input and output blades, and a variety of DM 8G® transmitters and receivers, the DM-MD128X128 allows extensive connectivity throughout a commercial or residential facility, supporting a wide range of signal types all through one switcher!
Integrated Ethernet networking and USB distribution provide a complete connectivity solution combined with built-in Crestron control for managing the displays and other room devices without necessitating any additional wiring. Hot-swappable redundant power supplies and advanced system-wide monitoring ensure continuous, dependable operation for mission-critical applications. User-friendly operation, setup, and troubleshooting tools are provided through the front panel touch screen or web browser interface to make setting up a complete multiroom 4K video distribution system easy.
4K Ultra HD
- Crestron DigitalMedia continues to advance the standard for digital AV signal distribution, delivering the world’s first end-to-end 4K system solution. From day one, the DM-MD128X128 was designed to meet the extreme bandwidth requirements for handling 4K and Ultra HD video signals. Support for 4K video also ensures support for the latest generation of computers and monitors with native resolutions beyond 1080p and WUXGA.
- As the leader in HDMI and control system technologies, Crestron developed DigitalMedia (DM) to deliver the first complete HD AV distribution system to take HDMI to a higher level. DigitalMedia allows virtually any mix of HDMI and other AV sources to be distributed throughout a room, building, or campus using a point-to-point signal transport called DigitalMedia 8G (DM 8G). Engineered for ultra high-bandwidth and ultimate scalability, DM 8G provides a true one-wire lossless transport for moving high-definition video, audio, Ethernet, and control signals over a choice of twisted pair or fiber optic cable.
- DM 8G handles uncompressed Full HD 1080p, Ultra HD, 2K, and 4K video signals with support for 3D, Deep Color, and HDCP 2.2. Audio capabilities include support for high-bitrate 7.1 audio formats like Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby Atmos®, DTS HD®, and DTS:X® as well as uncompressed linear PCM. All signals are transported over one CAT type twisted pair cable or one strand of multimode or single-mode fiber. DM 8G enables wire distances up to 330 feet (100 m) via DM 8G+® (DM 8G over twisted pair copper wire), 1000 feet (300 m) via DM 8G Fiber (DM 8G over multimode fiber), or 7.5 miles (12 km) via DM 8G SM Fiber (DM 8G over single-mode fiber).
- Note: To enable distribution of 4K signals over fiber, or to add AV over IP connectivity, the DM-MD128X128 can easily be augmented using Crestron network AV encoders and decoders. Adding one or more DMF-CI-8 card chassis affords a tidy solution for adapting multiple HDMI inputs and outputs to support 4K video streaming over copper or fiber. Individual DM NVX series or DM-TXRX-100-STR encoder/decoders may also be employed. Both point-to-point and switched Ethernet topologies are supported.
- Crestron DigitalMedia 8G+® technology is designed using HDBaseT Alliance specifications, ensuring interoperability with other HDBaseT certified products. Via DM 8G+, the DM-MD128X128 can be connected directly to an HDBaseT compliant device without requiring a DM transmitter or receiver. Crestron’s implementation of HDBaseT includes the transport of 4K video with HDCP 2.2, high-bitrate 7.1 audio, CEC and RS-232 control, Ethernet networking, and PoE or PoE+ power, all over one wire.
- The DM-MD128X128 features a modular architecture with 16 input blade slots and 16 output blade slots. Each blade slot is field-installable, allowing for easy and flexible system configuration with the ability to expand and upgrade the system as needs change. The input and output blades are hot-swappable to facilitate servicing without shutting down the whole switcher. I/O blades are offered to support the choice of HDMI + analog audio, HDMI + Dante, HDBaseT, DM 8G+, DM 8G Fiber, and DM 8G Single-Mode Fiber. Each blade provides eight inputs or outputs of any one type.
- Handling high-definition digital media means handling HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), the encryption scheme that content providers use to protect their DVDs, Blu-ray™ discs, and broadcast signals against unauthorized copying. Viewing HDCP encrypted content requires a source device to “authenticate” each display and signal processor in the system and issue it a “key” before the content can be viewed. Ordinarily this causes a complete loss of signal for up to 15 seconds each time a new source or display is selected anywhere in the system. To make matters worse, every source device has a limited number of keys available, so connect too many displays and the source will simply stop outputting a signal without warning.
- Not to worry — Crestron QuickSwitch HD manages the keys for every HDCP-compliant device in the system, maintaining continuous authentication for each device to ensure fast, reliable routing of any source to any number of display devices.
- Crestron Auto-Locking Technology enables super fast signal switching by instantaneously configuring every device in the signal path as soon as the signal hits the first device. Whether switching between sources or TV channels, Auto-Locking significantly reduces the time it takes each device to sense the new signal and configure itself to handle the changes, virtually eliminating any noticeable gap while switching.
EDID Format Management
- With all of today’s varied AV sources comes a multitude of confusing video and audio formats to keep track of, and chances are not every device in your system supports all of the same formats. Such conflicts can wreak havoc any time you route one source to more than one display or audio component. The media source feeding your 1080p or Ultra HD projector in the theater may restrict itself to a lower resolution, or even shut off completely, if someone decides to view the same signal on a smaller TV in another room. And, instead of enjoying your theater’s incredible 7.1 surround sound, you may find yourself limited to 5.1 or even plain old stereo.
- DigitalMedia eliminates such conflicts by managing the EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) that modern digital devices use to communicate their capabilities. Through the DM-MD128X128, the format and resolution capabilities of each device can be assessed, allowing the installer to configure EDID appropriately for the most desirable and predictable behavior.
A Scaler for Every Display
- High-performance scaling capability can be added to any output on the DM-MD128X128 using select output blades or DM receivers with built-in HD and 4K scalers. By providing an independent scaler for every display device, DigitalMedia truly delivers the most flexible and user-friendly solution for routing multiple disparate sources to many different display devices. This “Distributed Scaler” approach ensures an optimal image on every screen no matter what sources are selected. Distributed scaling allows a high-res computer source to be viewed on any display in the building. It also allows an SD, HD, or Ultra HD video source to be viewed simultaneously on the 4K display in your theater and on lower-resolution displays throughout the house.
Built-in Ethernet Switch
- In addition to transporting digital video and audio, DigitalMedia can also extend 10/100 Ethernet out to each display and source device via select DM receivers and transmitters or HDBaseT, providing high-speed connectivity for any room device that requires a LAN connection. Ethernet is also utilized internally by the Crestron control bus to manage the DM devices in the system and provide display control in each room.
Private Network Mode
- To streamline its implementation on a corporate or university LAN, the DM-MD128X128 employs Private Network Mode to provide a single-point connection for the complete system. Using Private Network Mode, the DM-MD128X128 requires just one IP address for the complete DM network including all connected DM receivers and transmitters.
USB Signal Routing
- Along with video, audio, and Ethernet, DigitalMedia also provides for the routing of USB HID (Human Interface Device) signals, allowing a USB HID compliant keyboard and/or mouse at one location to control a computer or media server in another location, whether just across the room or in another building. USB HID connectivity is provided through select DM receivers and transmitters.
- Crestron also offers USB extenders to enable the routing of virtually any type of USB peripheral to any host device, all managed through the DigitalMedia system. Connect a USB over Ethernet Extender host module (USB-EXT-DM-LOCAL) to each computer, media server, game system, annotator, and any other host that you want to control or communicate with. Then, install a device module (USB-EXT-DM-REMOTE) at every display location to connect keyboards, mice, game controllers, whiteboards, flash drives, cameras, and mobile devices. Every module communicates with the DM switcher over the local Ethernet network or via a direct connection to the LAN port of a DM transmitter or receiver.
CEC Embedded Device Control
- For controlling third-party AV devices, DigitalMedia provides an alternative to conventional IR, RS-232, and Ethernet by harnessing the CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) signal embedded in HDMI. Through its connection to the control system, the DM-MD128X128 provides a gateway for controlling many devices right through their HDMI or HDBaseT connections, potentially eliminating the need for any dedicated control wires or IR emitters.
Touch Screen Front Panel
- Simplified setup and operation of the DM-MD128X128 is provided through a large 15” color touch screen. Through its user-friendly graphical interface, the touch screen enables the routing of AV signals with the ability to view resolution and format information for every input and output signal, and even preview a live video image of any input. Configuration and diagnostics capabilities include monitoring of the status for each i/o blade, fan tray and power supply, configuration of Ethernet settings, and updating of the firmware for all connected devices.
Web Browser Control
- The DM-MD128X128 also includes a built-in web server, enabling full operation and monitoring through any networked computer with a web browser. Password protection prevents unauthorized access to this feature.
- When previewing video on the front panel touch screen, audio can also be monitored through the built-in speakers or external stereo speakers. Built-in 7.1 decoding and downmixing enables monitoring of both stereo and surround sound sources. A stereo line-level output is provided to feed an external amplifier. Audio volume is adjustable via the front panel touch screen or web browser.
Hot-Swappable Redundant Power Supplies
- The DM-MD128X128 delivers enhanced reliability for mission critical applications, employing hot-swappable redundant power supplies to ensure continuous operation throughout the life of the system. Each of its three onboard power supplies has a demonstrated MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) of over a half million hours, and in the unlikely event of an individual power supply fault, the switcher will continue to operate unhindered on only two power supplies. Clear indication of such a fault is provided on the unit’s front panel, and the power supplies can even be remotely monitored via a control system touch screen, mobile device, or the Crestron Fusion® Enterprise Management Service. A modular hot-swappable plug-in design allows any supply to be replaced in seconds without ever shutting down the switcher or removing it from the equipment rack.
- To configure a DM switcher complete with input and output blades, cables, and other peripherals, please use the online DigitalMedia Switcher Configuration Tool.
- Please refer to the DigitalMedia webpage at https://www.crestron.com/digitalmedia for additional design tools and reference documents.
- Provides lossless HD AV signal routing over twisted pair copper wire or fiber
- Integrates video, audio, networking, and control over one wire or fiber strand
- Modular design configurable in blades of 8 inputs or outputs
- Enables full matrix switching scalable from 8x8 to 128x128
- Handles HDMI® with Deep Color, 3D, 4K, and high-bitrate 7.1 encoded audio
- HDBaseT® Certified — Enables direct connection to other HDBaseT certified equipment
- HDCP 2.2 compliant via compatible 4K input and output blades
- Supports up to 128 DM 8G® transmitters and 128 DM 8G receivers
- Distributes Full HD 1080p, Ultra HD, and 4K signals over CAT type twisted pair cable at distances up to 330 ft (100 m) via DM 8G+® and HDBaseT
- Distributes 1080p and WUXGA signals over multimode fiber at distances up to 1000 ft (300 m) via DM 8G® Fiber
- Distributes 1080p and WUXGA signals over single-mode fiber at distances up to 7.5 miles (12 km) via DM 8G SM Fiber
- Integrates seamlessly with DM NVX via external DMF-CI-8 card chassis to enable 4K signal distribution over fiber or Ethernet
- Supports high-definition H.264 video streaming via DM-TXRX-100-STR encoder/decoders
- QuickSwitch HD™ technology manages HDCP keys for fast, reliable switching
- Auto-Locking® technology achieves rapid switching between disparate sources
- Supports analog audio embedding and de-embedding
- Supports Dante® audio networking
- Includes stereo line-level audio monitoring output
- 15” color touch screen enables simplified front panel setup, operation, video preview, and troubleshooting
- Built-in web server enables full operation from any networked computer
- Allows system monitoring through front panel, web browser, control system, or Crestron Fusion®
- Allows independent scaling for every display device through select output blades and DM receivers
- Enables device control via CEC
- Distributes and routes USB HID mouse and keyboard signals between transmitters and receivers
- Expanded USB routing capabilities available using USB over Ethernet Extenders
- Includes integrated Ethernet switch with Gigabit LAN port
- Private Network Mode — requires just one IP address for the complete DM system
- Features hot-swappable redundant power supplies and fan tray with advanced status monitoring
- Hot-swappable I/O blades afford fast restoration of service with minimal disruption
- 24-space 19-inch rack-mountable